Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Preschool Activities: Letter of the Week {Aa}

By Tiffany Rudd
{Aa} is one of my favorite letters to teach because it makes a fun and memorable sound, like someone yelling"Ahhh!" :) Don't forget to remind your child that {Aa} can also say it's own name.

Snack Ideas: 
      *Apple Sandwiches: This is a fun way to change up that same-old peanut butter sandwich and is one of my son's favorite lunches. Just slice the apple into 1/2 inch circles, cut out the core and put peanut butter between two pieces. If you have a child with peanut allergies these are also great with almond or sunflower butter. Or, if you need to be nut free use cream cheese. 
      * While you are preparing your apple sandwiches, make sure you stop to show your child the cross section of the apple. We so often cut apples from top to bottom many children have never seen the star pattern the seeds make when cut from side to side. It's a simple thing that always gets a fun reaction!

Books:
      * Ten Apples Up On Top by Dr. Seuss
      * Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing by Judi Barrett

Arts & Crafts:
      * Paper Plate Apple: This is a fun and simple activity that is always a favorite! All you need is a cheep white paper plate and a little construction paper. Simply cut a leaf and stem out of the construction paper (or have your child do it) and cut a "worm sized" hole in the plate. Have your child color the apple and glue on the stem and leaf. Then, use a black marker to give your child's pointer finger eyes and a smile. Then the "worm" can munch right through the apple while you sing this apple song.

Apple Song: 
      * I apologize to the writer of little song because I have no idea where I got it from. I just have it in my preschool notes. It is sung to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."

 "Apple, Apple, On The Tree"
Apple, apple on the tree,
I know that you are good for me.
You are fun to munch and crunch
For a snack or un my lunch.
Apple, apple, on the tree,
I know that you are good for me!"

      * I always add a "Crunch, crunch, munch..." to the end while the "worms" enjoy their apples. :)

Apple Poem (With Actions):
      * This is another one that I don't know where I found. Anything you can add actions to is always a hit with preschoolers.
Five little apples lying on the floor.
I roll one away, and that leaves four.
(Make rolling motion with arms.)

Four little apples hanging in a tree.
I pick one off, and that leaves three.
(Pick and imaginary apple.)

Three little apples, I know what to do!
I put one in my pocket, and that leaves two.
(Put imaginary apple in pocket)

Two little apples sitting in the sun.
I pick one up, and that leaves one.
(Pick imaginary apple up off the floor.)

One little apple waiting in my lunch.
I eat it up with a crunch, crunch, crunch!
(Pretend to eat the apple.)

Imaginary Play: 
      * Animal Hospital: My preschoolers had so much fun imagining that our preschool room was an animal hospital and caring for sick pets and even wild animals.

Free Printables:
      * Click on the photo below to print the {Aa} page.
      *Click on the photo below to print these super cute alphabet flash cards. Each letter comes with a real picture or a cartoon.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips