Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Preschool Activities: Secret Language

By: Deborah Pace Rowley
When one of my daughters was little, she often invented words. One time when she was really mad, she couldn’t find the rights words to express her anger at me. Red-faced, she blurted out, “Blah, blah, blue, blue!” I chuckled inside and decided to overlook the reason for her frustration. Instead I responded, “Why, honey, that is so sweet. I blah, blah, blue, blue you too!” Natalie began to laugh. This silly expression quickly became our term of endearment for each other. It was our secret way to say, “I love you.” The important part was that this expression belonged just to Natalie and to me. She guarded this phrase and wouldn’t let Dad or any of her siblings use our “special words.” Is there something special you could do or say that would show your love for each child individually? Spend a few minutes snuggling with your preschooler and come up with a made-up word or special gesture or hand shake together. 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Everyday let us help our child develop their speech. Learn some methods to do it even at home. Even Autism Education gave importance on this kind of activities.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips